expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Pages

Monday, 24 July 2017

70 Dead as Terrorists Launch Suicide Car Bomb Attack and Slaughter Patients Inside a Burning Hospital (Photos)

 A scene of the suicide attack
 
Terrorists have carried out a bizarre suicide attack then proceeding to slaughter patients inside a burning hospital. At least 70 have been killed in Afghanistan after Taliban militants launched separate attacks on a hospital and a bus.
 
A suicide attacker killed up to 35 and injured dozens more after detonating a car bomb in Afghanistan's capital this morning.
 
It came a day after militants were accused of settinh a hospital alight in the central Ghor province before slaughtering 35 patients inside.
 
This morning's Kabul explosion targeted a bus carrying employees of the mines and petroleum ministry in Kabul but also destroyed shops and civilian vehicles.
 
Pictures show a giant cloud of black smoke at the site of the blast, which was near the house of the deputy government Chief Executive Mohammad Mohaqiq in a part of the city where many of the mainly Shi'ite Hazara community live. 
 
Smoke rises from a the blast site
 
The bombing, which targeted government personnel, continued the unrelenting violence that has killed more than 1,700 civilians in Afghanistan so far this year.
 
The Taliban, which is battling the Western-backed government and a NATO-led coalition for control of Afghanistan, has launched a wave of attacks around the country in recent days, sparking fighting in more than half a dozen provinces.
 
'I was in my shop when suddenly I heard a terrible sound and as a result all of my shop windows shattered,' said Ali Ahmed, a resident in the area of Monday's blast.
 
Acting Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least 24 people had been killed and 40 wounded but the casualty toll could rise further.
 
Another senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the incident with the media, said the toll stood at 35 killed. 
 
That was in line with a claim on Twitter by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, who said 37 'intelligence workers' had been killed.
 
Mujahid said in a tweet claiming responsibility for the attack the target had been two buses that had been under surveillance for two months.
 
 
Government security forces said a small bus owned by the Ministry of Mines had been destroyed in the blast but the National Directorate for Security, the main intelligence agency, said none of its personnel had been hit.
 
Three civilian vehicles and 15 shops were destroyed or damaged in the blast, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
 
Over the weekend at least 35 people were killed when the Taliban attacked a hospital in central Ghor province over the weekend, a presidential spokesman said Monday.
 
'When the Taliban entered the hospital they killed 35, all civilians,' spokesman Shah Hussain Murtazawi said, without specifying if they were patients or staff. 'This is a cruel crime against humanity.'
 
He did not elaborate, but unconfirmed reports Sunday claimed that the Taliban had set the hospital alight and killed those inside.
 
The Taliban have denied the claim, though a spokesman said that parts of the local hospital were damaged in fighting in the area.
 
It came as the insurgents captured Taywara district in Ghor province after days of fighting, the latest victory by the resurgent militants.
 
Afghan forces control 59.7 percent of the country, according to a US watchdog's report issued in May after the winter lull in fighting, up slightly from the previous quarter.
 
 
But the insurgents have ramped up their offensive across the country since launching their so-called 'spring offensive' earlier this year. 
 
At least 1,662 civilians had already been killed in Afghanistan in the first half of the year.
 
Kabul has accounted for at least 20 per cent of all civilian casualties this year, including at least 150 people killed in a massive truck bomb attack at the end of May, according to United Nations figures.
 
ISIS claimed an attack on a mosque in the capital two weeks ago that killed at least four people.
 
On Sunday, dozens of Afghan troops were under siege after Taliban fighters overran a district in northern Faryab province, a spokesman for the provincial police said.
 
There was also fighting in Baghlan, Badakhshan, and Kunduz provinces in Afghanistan's north, and Kandahar, Helmand, and Uruzgan in the south, according to officials.
 
The resurgence of violence also coincides with the U.S. administration weighing up its strategic options for Afghanistan, including the possibility of sending more troops to bolster the NATO-led training and advisory mission already helping Afghan forces.
 
***
Culled from Daily Mail UK
sylviaakaemesblog

No comments:

Post a comment