expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Pages

Tuesday, 22 August 2017

Horror: You Won't Believe What Happened After This 9-year-old Boy Was Fed Fish Fingers at School

A little boy has suffered a really tragic fate after he was fed with fish fingers and chips at his school. 
Ismaeel Ashraf, a 9-year-old boy has died from a severe allergy after staff served him fish fingers and chips at his school.
 
According to Metro UK, Ismaeel Ashraf complained to teachers at the Al-Hijrah school in Birmingham that he was feeling unwell and that his stomach was hurting.
 
However, he was not given an epipen injection to stop the reaction and was taken to Heartlands Hospital where he died of a suspected anaphylactic shock.
 
His father Tehseen left the inquest as a 999 call was played to the inquest jury. An ambulance call handler was heard asking ‘do you have an epipen?’
 
The member of staff responded saying: ‘Yes we are looking for it.’ but then added ‘we don’t have an epipen.’
 
The ambulance call handler said: ‘We could really do with finding this epipen as soon as possible.’
 
CCTV footage from the reception area shows Ismaeel being sat down before a teaching assistant arrives with an epipen 11 minutes after he sat down.
 
Ismaeel had a red book that stated he could not eat fish. Kitchen assistant Jemma Sheedy asked the chef if Ismaeel could have fish fingers, which contained pollock, and was told that he could.
 
Kitchen staff at the school employed by catering firm Caterlink admit they did not read the book which records pupils’ allergies and food intolerances.
 
He was also allergic to kiwi fruit, dairy products, nuts and tuna in brine but fish was added to the list.
 
An inquest heard he had fish and chips every week at the school and never had any reaction.
 
Ms Sheedy said: ‘About five pupils wore badges showing their allergies, one of them was Ismaeel but over time the pupils stopped wearing their badges but we already knew what they were.
 
‘There’s a red book which has people’s allergies in by the counter. But I’ve never looked at Ismaeel’s.
 
‘I asked the chef if the allergy boys could have the fish fingers. I was told they could. I was leaving school when told by a colleague Ismaeel had an allergic reaction to fish.
 
‘When we looked in the book later we were shocked to see Ismaeel was allergic to fish.’
 
He had eaten the meal at 12.30pm but the alarm was raised at 1.45pm when he complained to teachers that he was feeling unwell.
 
Birmingham coroner Louise Hunt said: ‘He was sent to the school’s reception and was given Pirotin to treat his allergic reaction at around 2pm.
 
‘He asked for his inhaler because he had difficulties with his breathing. He was with a member of staff who stayed with him until the ambulance arrived.
 
‘Ambulance staff then arrived and gave him his epipen.’
 
But his father Tehseen, whose three other children still attend the school, paid tribute to his son at the hearing.
 
He said: ‘He was a a very keen football fan and we would often play football in the park. It was our little way of spending father and son time together.
 
‘He was very mature for his age, when we went shopping he picked up food that he likes and then the first thing he did was check the ingredients to check if he was allergic to it.
 
‘It happened just before the Easter holidays. He had so many plans with me and his mum about what he wanted to do in his break.’
 
When asked if the school had epipens, he replied: ‘Yes’.
 
Usmah Mazhar who was working as an assistant chef when Ismaeel ordered fish fingers and chips said staff trusted what children said they can and cannot eat.
 
It was heard the school did not enforce pupils like Ismaeel and his best friend Zak who were known by kitchen staff as the ‘dairy boys’ to wear badges or lanyards stating their allergies.
 
Mr Mazhar said: ‘I work out what to feed children by what information we’re given by the chef.
 
‘I should’ve read the care plan. A badge stating a child’s allergy would help save a child’s life.
 
‘We were not sure if Ismaeel had an intolerance or allergy to dairy. On a normal Friday he would have fish and chips.
 
But since Ismaeel’s death the red book containing pupil’s special requirements has risen from just seven individuals with allergies to 57.
 
Kitchen manager Deborah Park admitted to the inquest she was surprised by Ismaeel’s care plan when she read it for the first time on the day he had the attack.
 
She said: ‘We called Zak and Ismaeel the Dairy Boys because they were always together and couldn’t have dairy.
 
‘We were really shocked when it said fish. I think it’s the school’s responsibility to update the care plans
 
‘We’ve had a lot more care plans go through since the death. It’s gone up from seven to 57 children with care plans.
 
When asked whether she had seen anyone check individual records in the red book Deborah said, ‘No I haven’t seen anyone look at it.’
 
Until two weeks after Ismaeel’s death, the school ran a tuck shop independently of Caterlink.
 
Dr Robin Tall, a paediatrician, told the inquest Ismaeel had been to Birmingham Children’s Hospital before his death after suffering from a suspected viral illness.
 
He felt better after two days off school and returned to school on March 1st – two days before his death.
sylviaakaemesblog

No comments:

Post a comment